Monday, June 27, 2011

Matter of Perspective Monday...

I am an ER nurse. I work every Saturday and Sunday and stay home during the week with the kids.  While this sounds like a wonderful schedule Mondays are really hard for me.  I am tired.  Very Very tired.  I don't usually get to bed until one or two in the morning on Sunday night and get up at six.  I drink many cups of coffee on Monday mornings and struggle to get off the couch.  However my job has a way of humbling me.  


The ER is an unusual place to work.  You see a whole gamete of things and the things you see change you, they put life into perspective.  I have mourned the loss of a child whom we could not save, I have held the hand of a dying man, I have shocked a heart back into a beating rhythm, I have cried with a newly diagnosed cancer patient, I have wept with two young children who lost their mother in a drunk driving accident, I have rejoiced with a couple who found out they were pregnant, I have put pressure on a life threatening wound. I have been spit on, peed on, kicked and cussed at while having to continue caring for these people.  
Each shift I work I am reminded that life is a gift, cherish each other, do the things that make you happy, enjoy your life because it can change in the blink of an eye.   


When Monday comes around my attitude is one of gratitude.  Although I may be tired and weary and don't feel like playing one more game of hide and seek or cleaning up another mess I wouldn't want it any other way. 


REJOICE WITH THOSE WHO REJOICE; MOURN WITH THOSE WHO MOURN. LIVE IN HARMONY WITH ONE ANOTHER. DO NOT BE PROUD, BUT BE WILLING TO ASSOCIATE WITH PEOPLE OF LOW POSITION. DO NOT BE CONCEITED. ROMANS 12: 15-16

1 comment:

  1. I needed to hear this today. We had a LONG night and today I have a clingy, whiney baby and I"m feeling so overwhelmed but you're right... we have so much to be thankful for! I'm so glad you're doing this. I'm looking forward to knowing what's going on in your world again. Love y'all!

    ReplyDelete